Home Testing Guidance
The next stage of the COVID-19 schools testing strategy - Home Testing for Students
We are pleased to confirm that the Covid-19 self-testing kits have now been distributed to all students.
We appreciate that you may have some questions about the new processes, so we have tried to outline some of the key elements below with useful links to guide you through it.
Frequency and timings
As per Government guidance, students are asked to test themselves (with parental support as appropriate), twice per week, before coming to school in the morning.
Instructions for carrying out the test.
Students will receive an Instructions for Use Guide with their kits which clearly walks you through the procedures. There is also a Step by Step Guide video on YouTube which can be found here:
The home testing instructions have been translated into multiple languages online and can be accessed through this link here:
Reading your results
Your Lateral Flow Device (LFD) will give you a result after 30 minutes. This result will be: Positive, Negative or Void. Instructions for reading the results can be found on page 14 of the Instructions for Use Guide.
Reporting your results to the NHS
Following the test, the result must be reported through the NHS Online reporting system here: https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result
Reporting your results to School
In addition to reporting your result to the NHS, you need to report your results to the Academy, including: Negative, Void, or Positive results. To report your result, please follow this link: Report my results to School
Positive results from your home test – Additional steps and confirmatory PCR test.
If your test result is positive, you must also do the following:
- Phone the Academy on 0113 229 5454 (option 1). where you will be given more information on what you need to do next.
- Proceed to book a confirmatory PCR test via the NHS online system to confirm the positive result. You can book your test here: https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or by calling 119.
- Whilst awaiting the PCR test result, the student and their close contacts should self-isolate.
Possible outcome of the PCR test
- Negative - If the PCR test result is negative, it overrides the self-test you completed at home and the student and close contacts can end their isolation and return to school.
- Positive - If the PCR test confirms a positive case, the student and close contacts must continue to self-isolate as per Government guidance.