Early Careers at the WRAT
At the White Rose Academies Trust our beliefs and values regarding Early Career Teachers align with the foundations on which the Early Careers Framework has been built upon. Teachers are the foundation of the education system – there are no great schools without great teachers. Teachers deserve high quality support throughout their careers. Particularly in their early career years, teachers require high quality, structured support in order to begin the journey towards becoming an expert.?
During induction, it is essential that early career teachers are able to develop the knowledge, practices and working habits that set them up for a fulfilling and successful career in teaching. The Early Career Framework (ECF)?is an essential and valued entitlement utilised and surpassed across the WRAT so that all Early Careers Teachers access a package of structured training and support which is embedded in the best available research evidence. Our Early Career teachers have dedicated time to focus on their development, an experienced mentor to coach high quality classroom practice and an experienced Induction Lead to ensure that all Early Careers Teachers thrive in their induction year and beyond.
Partners and Providers
The White Rose Academies Trust works closely with Bradford Teaching Schools Hub in order to deliver a high quality Early Careers offer to teachers in their first years after gaining QTS. By using resources developed by Ambition we ensure that all Early Career Teachers develop at a manageable pace with support that is embedded in educational research.
As our Appropriate Body, the Bradford Teaching School Hub quality assure our Early Careers provision to ensure that it is high quality and serves its purpose in ensuring every Early Career Teacher has a successful start to their teaching career.
The WRAT Offer for Early Careers Teachers
As a Trust we believe that all teachers should receive support and development opportunities regardless of career stage. National statistics show that teachers are most likely to leave the profession in their first 5 years of teaching, therefore we continue to provide a bespoke offer beyond the first 3 years in teaching. Last year a staff voice survey showed that 95% of WRAT Early Career Teachers saw themselves remaining in teaching in comparison to the national statistic of 50%.
The table below outlines the entitlement of Early Careers Teachers in their first 4 years of gaining QTS at the White Rose Academies Trust:
|Key:||Early Careers Framework Compliance||Bradford Teaching School Hub||WRAT Early Careers Programme Offer|
|Early Career Teacher (Year 1)||Early Career Teacher (Year 2)||Early Career Teacher (Year 3)||Early Career Teacher (Year 4 and Beyond)|
|Additional 10% time off timetable to support development.||Additional 5% off timetable to support development.||Regular feedback on classroom practice as part of calendared quality assurance in each academy.||Regular feedback on classroom practice as part of calendared quality assurance in each academy.|
|High quality weekly self-study materials as provided by Ambition.||Development links within the academy who drop into lessons and provide regular feedback.||A trained Early Careers Coach to guide classroom practice and support with career aspirations.||Academy-based professional development opportunities.|
|At least 39 hours of mentor support across the year.||A trained 1-2-1 support mechanism to guide classroom practice and support with career aspirations.||Opportunity to attend the bespoke Academy-based CPD offer to contextualise and build upon ECF self-study materials.||Termly subject specific WRAT CPD (English, Maths & Science).|
|Bespoke Academy-based CPD offer to contextualise and build upon ECF self-study materials.||Bespoke Academy -based CPD offer to contextualise and build upon ECF self-study materials.||Academy-based professional development opportunities.||WRAT CPD strands to support next stages in career aspirations (Aspiring Leaders, Leadership Development).|
|Academy-based professional development opportunities.||Academy-based professional development opportunities.||Termly subject specific WRAT CPD (English, Maths & Science).||The WRAT wellbeing support offer.|
|Support with assessment points from an experienced Induction Tutor.||Termly subject specific WRAT CPD (English, Maths & Science).||A Monthly Bespoke CPD Offer designed specifically for this career stage.||Career Optimisation Programme – bespoke to individual aspirations and career goals.|
|Access to a developmental feedback platform –StepLab.*||A Monthly Bespoke CPD Offer designed specifically for this career stage.||The WRAT wellbeing support offer.||Half termly staff voice to assess developmental needs, wellbeing, and workload to ensure the Early Careers Programme meets the needs of all colleagues.|
|Termly subject specific WRAT CPD (English, Maths & Science).||The WRAT wellbeing support offer.||Career Optimisation Programme – bespoke to individual aspirations and career goals.||Level 7 academic study support|
|8 Trust Wide Early Careers CPD sessions a year for networking and collaboration.||Career Optimisation Programme– bespoke to individual aspirations and career goals.||Half termly staff voice to assess developmental needs, wellbeing, and workload to ensure the Early Careers Programme meets the needs of all colleagues.|
|The WRAT wellbeing support offer.||High quality weekly self-study materials as provided by Ambition and StepLab platform*||Level 7 academic study support|
|Half termly staff voice to assess developmental needs, wellbeing, and workload to ensure the Early Careers Programme meets the needs of all colleagues.|
|Level 7 academic study support||Level 7 academic study support|
*This will commence in September 2022
WRAT Early Careers CPD Offer
The White Rose Academies Trust offers a range of unique professional development opportunities whereby professionals across the Trust and wider Luminate education group can come together to develop, collaborate and network. Our philosophy is that the early years of teaching demonstrates a clear investment in our early career teachers, as we foster the thirst for success by giving a high-quality and bespoke training offer.
The Early Careers Programme is one of the Trust-wide CPD strands that is specifically catered to teachers at the start of their teaching career. The sessions offer additional pedagogy and teaching and learning development that compliments the Early Careers Framework entitlement and the additional Early Careers offer within each academy. Importantly, the Early Careers Programme expands the network of each colleague who attends in terms of support and opportunities for collaboration.
The WRAT Early Careers Programme is an offer that is highly valued by our colleagues:
Beginner Teacher CPD has included lots of practical teaching strategies and I have loved the opportunity to speak to Beginner Teachers across the Trust - (ITT)
I have throughly enjoyed the time I have already spent at Leeds East Academy; the dedication to pupil cohort and comradery between colleagues creates and incredibly appealing atmosphere for all. - (ITT)
The CPD throughout the term was very versatile, focusing on different aspects of remote learning, both teaching live and asynchronous lessons. They highlighted areas of practice which I often overlooked when creating lessons for students to complete. - (Early Careers Teacher)
White Rose Academies Trust has been phenomenal. I have enjoyed all CPD that I have undertaken, specifically the reactive teach CPD and through the Trust I undertook a "why are so many autistic girls missed in schools CPD, which I found very insightful - (ITT)
Luminate Partnership for ITT
As part of the Luminate Education Group, we are a proud partner of the Luminate Partnership for ITT. This unique initial teacher training provision unites members of the Luminate Education Group with partnering institutions to provide you with alternative pathways to reaching Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
These non-traditional routes are provided by a team of dedicated and experienced education specialists from world-class education providers in Yorkshire and surrounding regions.
These training opportunities include the change to ‘earn while you learn’ as well as provide you with on-the-job training, mentoring and access to up-to-date facilities, resources and research.
The Luminate Partnership for ITT provides you with the opportunity to train, gain experience and qualify as a teacher through its exciting non-traditional routes. We support trainee teachers with various routes into teaching through the Luminate Partnership for ITT including:
- Apprenticeship Route
- Learning & Teaching Top-Up Degree
Each of the above routes have access to the Early Career Teacher CPD programme to allow colleagues in their training year to access our network of alike professionals.
To find out more about these exciting routes into teaching visit Become a teacher | Luminate Partnership for ITT
Initial Teacher Training
The White Rose Academies Trust works with a range of specially selected high quality providers providers to offer high quality and well supported placements on all routes to becoming a qualified teacher. This includes:
- A highly-skilled subject mentor from the Academy you are placed in, who will work closely with you throughout your training year. This will include weekly mentor meetings as well as regular feedback on your strengths and areas for improvement.
- Close links to our specialist Early Career Programme team, ensuring your experience during placement is extremely enjoyable; allowing you to fulfil your potential as a teacher.
- The opportunity to access Academy training events as well as Trust-wide training where you will meet other beginner teachers from the across the trust.
- An invitation to the Early Careers Programme social events and support from a wealth of wellbeing offers
- Recruitment opportunities coupled with potential financial incentives if you secure an Early Careers post within the trust.
Wellbeing and Workload
At the White Rose Academies we are committed to supporting the wellbeing and workload of all colleagues. We are acutely aware that the initial years in teaching are particularly challenging. As such, we are dedicated to going above and beyond the Early Careers Entitlement of PPA and also offer the following:
- A Wellbeing Representative at each academy who is committed to supporting colleagues.
- Wellbeing and Workload WRAT CPD offer calendared throughout the academic year.
- Nuffield Health - all colleagues are able to access Nuffield Health assistance via referral through the Central Trust Team.
- TasteCard - all colleagues receive a free Taste Card which offers discounts at a wide range of restaurants, take away establishments, cinemas, stores and much more.
- FirstBus Travel Club - colleagues can access employer discounts, cost-spreading and price-freezes through the FirstBus Travel Club.
- Free parking for all staff at each academy site - all sites host ample parking for staff
- Cycle to Work Scheme - this staff benefit is an opportunity to save on bike purchases and accessories which are then taken at source over a number of months.
- Mindful Employer - our commitment as an organisation to better mental health at work.
- West Yorkshire Pension Fund - teaching staff are part of the WYPF scheme. More information can be found at www.wypf.org.uk
- Tech Scheme - the scheme uses salary sacrifice to allow staff to purchase the latest technology through their employer. Through Techscheme, you can spread the cost of tech products in up to twelve payments from your salary across a year, making significant National Insurance saving.
- Health Assured - This is a 24-hour confidential service which can be used for medical information, legal advice, childcare support and more. You can find more information by clicking the link below and be aware that this information can always be found at the bottom of any staff member’s email.Free 24 Hour Confidential Helpline: 0800 030 5182, Online Health Portal: www.healthassuredeap.com.
If you would like any more information on being a beginner teacher within the Trust or would like to visit any of our Academies, then please contact Louise Wisson at:
Assistant Principal Luminate Education Group
You can also read about the Early Careers Framework on the Trust site here