Expectations for Excellence
A high standard of personal appearance is expected of all students. Parents and carers should be aware that any student arriving at the academy wearing incorrect uniform can expect to be either sent home to change, or be placed in isolation for the day until a parent/carer can bring the correct uniform.
The academy will not bypass this expectation as a result of receiving notes from parents explaining uniform discrepancies. Exceptions may be considered where notes are supported by a letter from a medical professional.
LEA branded items can be purchased from:
Rawcliffes - 617 Roundhay Road, Roundhay, Leeds LS8 4AR.
Uniform can also be purchased through the completion of an order form on request from school.
Non-generic items can be purchased at other suppliers, shops and supermarkets.
Our exceptional uniform standards mean that students are expected to:
- Always wear a black Leeds East Academy blazer around the academy.
- Wear a white tailored shirt which must be tucked into their waistband with a top button that must be fastened. Y11 students will wear a black shirt.
- Wear a Leeds East Academy tie at all times.
- It is optional to wear a school jumper. This can be worn in addition to the blazer, not as a substitute.
- Wear plain black tailored trousers with black socks. Tailored means not tight fitting and not made from stretchy fabrics. Any other style of trouser is not permitted. Jeans, leggings, cut-off trousers or trousers with decorative zips are not permitted.
- Students must wear a lanyard around their neck at all times.
- If a student chooses to wear a belt, it must be black and have a suitable buckle.
- All skirts must adhere to the academy policy and be no shorter than knee length or ankle length. The three skirt styles we will be accepting are; pleated knee length, pencil knee length and ankle length.
- Students must wear black tights with their skirt
- Wear plain black leather/leather look shoes. Trainers/pumps/canvas shoes/high heels are not allowed. All shoes must have a flat sole and sit below the ankle (not ankle boots). All shoes must be plain black and not feature decorative buckles or chains.
- Students must carry a sturdy school bag which can fit an A4 folder in.
- Outdoor items such as outdoor coats, hats and scarves can be worn to and from the academy; however, these should be removed when students enter the building at the start of the academy day.
- Jewellery is not permitted except one small gold/silver stud in each ear. No other piercing anywhere on the face or tongue is allowed; covering with plasters is not acceptable.
- Students are encouraged to wear any watch which is not a smart watch.
- We ask that students only wear a small amount of natural looking makeup. Where students arrive at school with excessive make-up, bright eyeliner, lipstick, nail varnish, etc, they will be asked to remove it.
- Nail extensions, Shellac or any other additions to natural nails are not allowed. If a student is unable to remove any additions to their natural nails, they will be separated from the main body of the school.
- Headscarves worn for religious reasons should be plain black.
Parents should be aware that any student arriving at the academy wearing incorrect uniform can expect to be sent to the Reflective Learning Centre until a parent can bring the correct uniform.
The decision regarding the appropriateness of the above areas of appearance is at the discretion of the LEA Pastoral Team.
Our exceptional uniform standards for PE mean that students are expected to:
- Wear one of our new academy branded polo tops.
- Wear plain Black tracksuit bottoms and black sports socks. Cycling shorts are not permitted. Students can wear loose shorts in warmer weather.
- Wear appropriate sports trainers, correctly worn with the laces tied at all times. Leisure or fashion trainers or pumps are not permitted.
- Wear studded, moulded or bladed boots for football and rugby lessons, training and fixtures.
The decision regarding the appropriateness of uniform and appearance is at the discretion of the LEA Pastoral Team.
Basic equipment all students should have to be exceptional learners are as follows:
- 2 x Black pens
- Green and Red pen
- 1 x Pencil
- 1 x Ruler
- A school bag that can fit an A4 Folder
- Knowledge Organiser provided by the academy
- Home learning exercise book provided by the academy
All mobile phones and any smart watches connected to mobile phones must be switched off and stored out of sight until they leave the academy grounds at the end of the academy day. Students will not be allowed to access their phones during break and lunchtimes even if they are spending time in an outside area within the academy grounds during their break or lunchtime. Any mobile phone that is seen will be confiscated. Students must turn their mobile phone off and put it in their bag or the inside blazer pocket to ensure that it cannot be seen at all. If a member of staff sees a mobile phone in possession of a student, or in the front blazer pocket of a student, this will be confiscated.
If you are looking for a new career opportunity within a value driven organisation, click here to see our current vacancies.