Leeds East Academy


Pupil Premium Case Studies

Behaviour Modification Case Studies

Case Study A

Student A was at risk of permanent exclusions last academic year as he had received 25 days of exclusion. He was placed in alternative provision where he rebuilt his love of learning and confidence. On return to the academy a personalised programme was implemented to help maintain this new found desire to succeed. Strategies to manage his emotions were put in place such as boxing intervention where he learnt the valuable new skills including team work, leadership and communication along with how to be disciplined. Student A only received 1 fixed term exclusion on his return from alternative provision and his attendance improved rapidly from 68.3% to 92.8%. 


Case Study B

Student B had a difficult start to the year, having on average 6 isolations per half term. The Year Manager began a bespoke Behaviour Modification Programme with her during half term 4 which saw a reduction in her isolations by 83% and her S4s by 57%. This positive cycle continued in HT5 and 6 with a 100% reduction in isolations. Student B graduated the Behaviour Modification Programme and began mentoring younger students who needed support to break down the barriers to their learning.


Case Study C

At the start of last year, student Cs attendance continued to be poor due to him refusing to come to school. When Student C was in school, he accumulated a high number of negative behaviour incidents, resulting in referrals to Isolation and exclusions for defiance and verbal abuse towards staff. Student C would not respond to any staff and would regularly wander around the academy.


To avoid Student C wandering around the academy, reasonable adjustments were put in place to support Student C so that he had a safe place to go to when he was feeling anxious. To modify Student Cs behaviour and develop strategies to overcome his anxiety, he was given access to interventions such as Art therapy and Lego therapy. Taking part in these helped Student C to deal with his emotions and he was able to express how he was feeling through his drawings and also speak about his anxieties to staff. These interventions led to an increase in confidence and the development of excellent relationships with staff supporting him resulting in a 79% reduction in isolation referrals and zero exclusions from the academy.


Year 11 Case studies: Diminishing the gap 


Student A

Student A is an EAL pupil who arrived at Leeds East Academy with impressive KS2 levels making him a high ability student. This individual maintained an excellent attendance (99.1%) during his school years as well as being ever present at his Study Plus and Session 6 periods during KS4, which gave him the platform to develop his knowledge prior to his exams commencing. Student A achieved excellent results particularly excelling in Maths, Physics and Chemistry. In Maths he gained a Grade 8, surpassing his Grade 7 Predicted Target. In both Physics and Chemistry this pupil was predicted a B Grade but his hard work was paid off when gaining him two A grades in both of these subjects. Significantly reducing the class sizes for Year 11 lessons last year has had an extremely positive impact to this students end results especially in his core subjects as evidenced by the results above.


Student B

Student B is a middle ability SEN pupil who finished her time at Leeds East Academy with an attendance percentage of 97.7%. This student greatly benefitted from the smaller class sizes across all of her subjects in Year 11, which helped her to overcome the SEN barriers she faced. Across the board she made excellent progress highlighted by the fact she exceeded her Year 11 DC2 Grade in 8 subjects. This shows her level of excellence and preparation she applied to her Exams by attending every session 6 and her study plus sessions alike.


Student C

Student C is a low ability EAL student who initially struggled with life at Leeds East Academy. During his Key Stage 3 years this student had a history of poor behaviour and a lack of motivation towards his academic achievements. Lots of hard work by his teachers in lessons and in study plus/intervention sessions helped him to gain focus on the importance of hard work and resilience. Over time Student C changed his perception towards school and became a model student and a mentor to younger students who struggled to initially connect with school life. This pupil went on to achieve incredible amounts of progress culminating in him making progress against his Year 11 DC 2 data in 60% of his subjects and achieving the predictions in the other 40%. This resulted in him achieving two grades higher than the national average for someone of his ability level.